Oogartsen praktijk/Cabinet d’ophtalmologie Zaventem
We are all passionate practitioners and we are willing to provide you with the best service and care you deserve.
Don’t hesitate in contacting us for any further information or for an appointment. We will be glad to attend you.
The oogartsZaventem team.
The only way to treat cataract is a surgery replacing the cloudy lens. Fortunately, cataract surgery is generally a safe, effective and common procedure.
The good news is that the surgery can fix other eye conditions such as myopia, hypermetropia…
Please remember that regular eye exam is important to evaluate your vision but also to detect any kind of problem that can damage your vision.
This surgery is often performed for cosmetic reasons but can also improve sight in old people whose droopy upper eyelids get in the way of their vision.
Blepharoplasty allows you to give away the “excess bagage” from your eyes and get an younger look.
This is why glaucoma detection is so important. Regular eye examinations by your ophthalmologist is the best way to detect glaucoma, especially if you meet one or more of these factor risks :
– People over the age of 40
– People who have a family history of glaucoma
– People with abnormally high intraocular pressure
– People with diabetes, previous eye injury…
In order to detect glaucoma, the ophthalmologist will check your intraocular pressure with a safe and painless procedure called tonometry. After instilling a drop of anaesthetic in each eye, the doctor puts a luminescent cone in front of the eyes (one after the other) to check the intraocular pressure.
Remember : early detection is the only way to avoid damaged vision from glaucoma.
Your ophthalmologist will adapt your treatment to your situation. There are three ways to treat a glaucoma, that can be combined :
– eye drops to instil every day at the same hour.
– laser surgery, useful to lower the intraocular pressure without invasive procedure. The effect is limited in time (2 or 3 years).
– traditional surgery (local anaesthesia) : either trabeculectomy or non-penetrating deep sclerectomy. It is performed in order to evacuate the extra amount of aqueous humor causing an increase in intraocular pressure.
Please remember that it is important to take your medications exactly as prescribed if you are to control your eye pressure. The regularity is essential in glaucoma treatment.
Since some damage can be irreversible, let your ophthalmologist perform a complete eye exam on a regular basis.
Before any surgery, we make a complete and thorough exam of the eye but also of the patient. Nothing is left aside.